Interesting People mailing list archives

Nasa runs competition to help make old Fortran code faster

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2017 04:57:32 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: May 4, 2017 at 12:10:42 PM EDT
To: nnsquad () nnsquad org
Subject: [ NNSquad ] Nasa runs competition to help make old Fortran code faster

Nasa runs competition to help make old Fortran code faster

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-39803425

     [NASA] is running a competition that will share $55,000
   between the top two people who can make its FUN3D software run
   up to 10,000 times faster. The FUN3D code is used to model how
   air flows around simulated aircraft in a supercomputer.  The
   software was developed in the 1980s and is written in an older
   computer programming language called Fortran.  "This is the
   ultimate 'geek' dream assignment," said Doug Rohn, head of
   Nasa's transformative aeronautics concepts program that makes
   heavy use of the FUN3D code.

- - -

Don't laugh. There's a lot more of it running out there than most
people realize. And then there's COBOL ... Admittedly, I don't think
I've really touched FORTRAN significantly since I was working with the
original ADVENTURE code a long, long time ago.

--Lauren--
/mailman/listinfo/nnsquad