Interesting People mailing list archives

Nobel Peace Prize and the End of War

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2017 11:49:48 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: John Horgan <jhorgan () stevens edu>
Date: October 6, 2017 at 11:28:42 AM EDT
To: Dave Farber <farber () gmail com>
Cc: John Horgan <jhorgan () stevens edu>
Subject: Nobel Peace Prize and the End of War

Dave, thought your list might find this post on today's Nobel Peace Prize announcement interesting. John Horgan

Nobel Prize for Efforts to Ban Nukes Should Inspire Efforts to End all War

Eradicating nuclear weapons once and for all will require ending the threat of conventional war, too.

I hope that this year’s Nobel Peace Prize adds oomph to efforts to eliminate the threat of nuclear war—and war in
general. The Norwegian Nobel Committee announced today that it is giving the 2017 Peace Prize to the International
Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons (ICAN). The committee lauded ICAN for “its work to draw attention to the
catastrophic humanitarian consequences of any use of nuclear weapons and for its ground-breaking efforts to achieve a
treaty-based prohibition of such weapons.”...

My colleague Alex Wellerstein, an historian and authority on nuclear weapons, whom I recently interviewed, doubts the
feasibility of a ban. He notes that “the nuclear weapons states still feel that nuclear weapons are necessary for
their security. Should they? That’s a really hard question to answer; there are many sides to it. But suffice to say:
until the states with nuclear weapons feel that they live in a world where the lack of nuclear weapons will not
affect their security or their prestige, they will hold onto them tightly. And that will have rippling effects.”

The logic of the nuclear states seems topsy-turvy to me. To my mind, none of us should feel secure as long as nuclear
weapons still exist. Implementing a ban that can be verified and will not destabilize relations between nations won’t
be easy. As long as nations feel threatened by each other, some will be tempted to rely on nuclear weapons as a
defense. The solution to this dilemma is clear: We need to eliminate the threat of conventional international war,
too....

More at
https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/cross-check/nobel-prize-for-efforts-to-ban-nukes-should-inspire-efforts-to-end-all-war/​