Interesting People mailing list archives

“I asked Tinder for my data. It sent me 800 pages of my deepest, darkest secrets”

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2017 09:30:37 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Suzanne Johnson <fuhn () pobox com>
Date: September 26, 2017 at 9:21:54 AM EDT
To: "DAVID J. FARBER" <farber () gmail com>
Subject: I asked Tinder for my data. It sent me 800 pages of my deepest, darkest secrets

...clip

With the help of privacy activist Paul-Olivier Dehaye from personaldata.io and human rights lawyer Ravi Naik, I
emailed Tinder requesting my personal data and got back way more than I bargained for.

Some 800 pages came back containing information such as my Facebook “likes”, my photos from Instagram (even after I
deleted the associated account), my education, the age-rank of men I was interested in, how many times I connected,
when and where every online conversation with every single one of my matches happened … the list goes on.

“I am horrified but absolutely not surprised by this amount of       data,” said Olivier Keyes, a data scientist at
the University of Washington. “Every app you use regularly on your phone owns the same [kinds of information].
Facebook has thousands of pages about you!”

...clip
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/sep/26/tinder-personal-data-dating-app-messages-hacked-sold