Interesting People mailing list archives

Understanding Quantum Computers

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2018 01:01:59 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Rodney Van Meter <rdv () sfc wide ad jp>
Date: April 16, 2018 at 12:43:40 AM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: Rodney Van Meter <rdv () sfc wide ad jp>
Subject: Understanding Quantum Computers

Dave, for IP, if you don’t mind a little self-promotion…

The second run of our MOOC, Understanding Quantum Computers, is now open at
https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/intro-to-quantum-computing/
Free during the period of the run (four weeks plus some slack at the end), with monitored discussion boards and the
like where my students and I will be answering questions and generally facilitating discussion.

We cover seven key principles, including superposition and entanglement in quantum states, key quantum algorithms,
several of the most successful experimental technologies, and survey the budding quantum information technology
industry.  (Which is advancing faster than we can track!)

We have increased the amount of material about 25% compared to the first run last fall, with more on Grover’s search
algorithm, quantum chemistry (with Professor James Whitfield of Dartmouth), and quantum computer architectures
(Professor Kae Nemoto of Japan’s National Institute of Informatics).

See you online,

                      —Rod