Interesting People mailing list archives

Re A cybersecurity style guide

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2018 20:05:15 +0000

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Geoff Kuenning <geoff () cs hmc edu>
Date: Sun, Feb 25, 2018 at 2:33 PM
Subject: Re: [IP] Fwd: A cybersecurity style guide
To: <dave () farber net>

It's unfortunate that they get one of their front-page examples
wrong.

Anybody who understands English style knows that hyphenation
depends on context.  In phrases, hyphenation is a grouping
operator.  In my favorite example, an "acting department chair"
holds a temporary job, while an "acting-department chair" is the
permanent head of the theater division.

So the correct usage is "Denial of service is an approach to
preventing other people from using their computers.  A
denial-of-service attack can take many forms."  It's hyphenated
when used as a modifier, and not hyphenated otherwise.

See, for example, the Chicago Manual of Style.

Despite claiming to answer the question on the front page, the
guide itself takes no position.