Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Millions of PCs Targeted by Cryptocurrency-Mining Malware

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2018 03:52:22 +0000

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Joly MacFie <joly () punkcast com>
Date: Sat, Jan 27, 2018 at 10:12 PM
Subject: Re: [IP] Millions of PCs Targeted by Cryptocurrency-Mining Malware
To: dave <dave () farber net>, Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
CC: ip <ip () listbox com>

Hi Dave, Dewayne,

At the Radical Networks Conference last November there was one presentation
'Browser as Botnet' with a live demo of a similar thing. You hit the the
page, it steals your CPU.  For the presentation it was activated on the
Radical Networks homepage. SInce I was streaming I was on that page to view
the agenda.. I started going nuts when my encoder jumped to 100% CPU. I
madly swapped browsers from chrome to firefox to edge, before I twigged
what he was saying!. If you watch the video he apologizes to me.
Fortunately I was on a very robust  Z820 with twin Xeons, and the stream
continued uninterrupted throughout.

https://livestream.com/internetsociety/radnets17/videos/164720367

joly