Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Axios: WH considers nationalizing 5G network

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 17:21:25 +0000

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Bob Hinden <bob.hinden () gmail com>
Date: Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 12:16 PM
Subject: Re: [IP] Axios: WH considers nationalizing 5G network
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
CC: Bob Hinden <bob.hinden () gmail com>

Dave,

For IP if you like.

Wouldn’t one have to have a 5G network before it could be nationalized?  At
the moment 5G seems to me more like a marketing term than an actual
technology.  Yes, I know there is a lot of technical work going on, but I
am not aware of any operational deployments.

Having a single US government owned 5G network would make it easier to do
surveillance.  Easier than having to deal with each carrier separately.
That couldn’t be the real motivation could it?

I also note that having an architecture where there is a single low level
infrastructure and having multiple carriers use it to provide service might
have some advantages.  This could be more efficient that every carrier
having to deploy new radios and backhaul everywhere, and might create more
actual competition for service.

Bob