Interesting People mailing list archives

Some history and a viewpoint Re vis-a-vis a Government-Backed 5G vs. private enterprise network -- which is better equipped to build out truly national coverage?

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2018 01:59:57 +0000

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Andrew Seybold <aseybold () andrewseybold com>
Date: Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 7:50 PM
Subject: RE: [IP] Re vis-a-vis a Government-Backed 5G vs. private
enterprise network -- which is better equipped to build out truly national
coverage?
To: dave () farber net <dave () farber net>

Interesting comments and my two cents—first of all I have not been a member
of this IP list for a lot of yours, but then I was active, so back thank
you Dave.

First the Federal Government failed with a project called iWN nationwide
Land Mobile Radio system for all Federal agencies, it was conceived and put
forth in the early 2000 and by 2011 it was dead, only a small portion of it
was ever built in Oregon I believe which is still up and running. The bids
were way over budget, there were lawsuits and the Feds had no one who had a
clue how to put all of these radio systems together.

When I started working on what now is FirstNet in 2009 (the start of it
actually dates back to a speech Morgan O’Brien a co-found of Nextel made in
2006, we were working with the Federal government, FCC, Congress, Executive
branch and they did not want anything to do with trying to build out the
nationwide broadband system for the public safety community so when
FirstNet was born in 2012 it was to be built as a Federal/Private
partnership. AT&T was the successful bidder and is in the process of
building out the network 10 years later! If this had been a private only
network it would have been up and operational years ago.

Next, 5G is NOT a fixed set of spectrum assets coast to coast. It is a
group of very different portions of the spectrum staring at 3.5 GHz and
going up to over 35 GHZ. These systems were never designed to be nationwide
but rather to be used as small cells along rights of way, normally in dense
urban areas. The distance from a 5G cell site is measured in feet not
miles. It would be near impossible to stich together a truly nationwide
network using this spectrum. The reason it is going to be so fast is that
at these portions of the spectrum there is lots of  spectrum available, on
some bands over 60 or more MHz

It was never supposed to be nationwide, simply an extension of the LTE
systems of today, faster for sure. Ideally suited for smart city deployment
in street lights and other close together poles.

Lastly, for now, the reason I am told that the Feds want to do this is to
make sure there is a secure wireless network—what they are missing is that
just as soon as you attach it to the Internet it is not longer as secure.
If you use a smartphone on it that also has LTE built-in then it is not as
secure. If you want a truly secure network it will be one that does not
touch the internet and over which there are no users permitted.

If the Feds cannot even contain the hacks on their own agencies including
the CIA, NSA, and the Federal Reserve (50 times and counting) how is it
possible that magically they have the ability to build, or have built and
to secure a 5G network?

Andy

network -- which is better equipped to build out truly national coverage?