Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Amazing story: The man who invented network traffic analysis, the forgotten genius of Bletchley Park

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2018 16:42:25 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: John Gilmore <gnu () toad com>
Date: January 5, 2018 at 6:51:49 AM EST
To: farber () gmail com, gnu () toad com
Cc: "ip" <ip () listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Amazing story: The man who invented network traffic analysis, the forgotten genius of Bletchley Park

If you're interested in Gordon Welchman's story, I also recommend
reading about the end of it:

 The Sigint Secrets: The Signals Intelligence War, 1900 to Today--Including the Persecution of Gordon Welchman
 by Nigel West, 1986.  ISBN 0-688-07652-1.

(Cheap used or new copies are readily available.)

Basically, this hugely significant war hero was hounded out of
classified work and to his early death -- by NSA.  Thanks, idiots!
Why do security bureacracies always do this to intelligent, dedicated,
completely loyal people like Welchman, Turing, and Friedman?

Welchman was never told what his alleged crime was.  Nigel West claims
that

 Until his intervention, GCHQ and NSA had perpetuated the myth that
 code breaking had won the war and the Enigma machine had been
 solved.  Very few knew this to be a distortion of what had really
 happened.  In consequence public attention had focused on
 crytpgraphy and had been diverted away from the more sensitive
 matter of traffic analysis.

Welchman had been working on US tactical and strategic communications
at MITRE for more then a decade.  He wanted the US public and military
to understand that no matter how secure your cipher is, your mistakes
and procedures can make your messages traffic totally insecure.  He
spent much of his life building American defense encryption systems
that were designed to NOT be breakable by using the same techniques
that he had used on Enigma.  But that always requires *understanding*
on the part of the people operating the system.

The book ends with verbatim copies of the hateful correspondence
from NSA to Welchman, and his puzzled replies, such as the one
ending:

 "As far as I can make out this threat comes from NSA, which is
 somewhat ironical because I have been trying very hard to convince
 all concerned that cooperation with NSA experts is badly needed
 at all stages of military research and development programs."

   John