Interesting People mailing list archives

A Glimpse Into the Bureaucratic Hell of Denying Health Insurance Claims

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2018 13:21:15 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Date: March 8, 2018 at 12:48:40 PM EST
To: Multiple recipients of Dewayne-Net <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] A Glimpse Into the Bureaucratic Hell of Denying Health Insurance Claims

A Glimpse Into the Bureaucratic Hell of Denying Health Insurance Claims
By Molly Osberg
Mar 7 2018
<https://splinternews.com/a-glimpse-into-the-bureaucratic-hell-of-denying-health-1823560356>

Over the last few months, the Trump administration has begun to dismantle the Affordable Care Act, offering
short-term private insurance as an alternative. We thought we’d check in with some people who worked in the industry
before rules around pre-existing conditions and mental health parity were enacted: people whose jobs involved daily
management of strangers’ treatment, from an air-conditioned board room or an office building or a call center.

Interviews have been edited and condensed for clarity.

Jeremy Beckham, 33, insurance sales, Wisconsin

I was in sales between the ages of 19 and 21. I’d worked in other sales call centers, but the way the call center
industry was, insurance sales was a higher-paying job.

When I was first hired—this is one of the top five insurance companies in the country—I had to go through a trainer
and licenser program. I was licensed to sell health and life insurance telephonically in 26 states. I want to stress
that even though I worked for this one company for two years, everything that happened there was very typical of the
industry. I’m not trying to tar and feather anybody specifically. There’s barely one bit of difference between any of
these companies.

So people would call and say, “I’m trying to get health insurance for me or my family or my kid,” and I’d try to sell
them health, life, and dental, all individual plans. Part of that process is that you screen people for pre-existing
conditions. There were three different stages of screening. The first thing, right at the beginning of the call, I’d
ask a couple questions sort of off-the-cuff. Frankly, if I knew they were going to be declined, I was wasting my time
talking to them.

So I’d ask, casually, whether they had a history of heart disease, diabetes, cancer, heart attacks. Kind of develop a
rapport. That caught a pretty good chunk, diabetes especially. And I asked all that before I even made the sales
pitch, so the phone call would be, like, two minutes long. If they got declined I’d tell them what other options they
had, based on what state they were in. I had a computer terminal that told me what each state offered. Florida was
pretty good. Some states had literally nothing, and that was pretty hard. All I could say is, call other companies,
knowing they would decline them. Maybe I’d tell them to find employment somewhere with group health insurance.

But if they made it through those kind of off-the-cuff questions, we’d go to the application process. On the very
first screen on my computer console, it listed something like 20 of the most common conditions that would cause
someone to be declined. If they had any of those there was no point in going further. They were things like chronic
obesity, pulmonary disease, chronic inflammation, ulcerative colitis. If at any point in your life you’d had a heart
attack or a stroke, declined. Most forms of cancer, but not all. Pregnancy.

It was so routine to inspire deep anxiety in people.
For many people, this was not the first insurance place they called. They had already been declined. On our
applications, there was a question that was like, “Have you ever been declined from another company?” But there’s so
much uniformity; you either qualified with one of us or none at all. Pregnancy was an issue, too, though if you were
single and pregnant you weren’t always up shit’s creek. Many of the states allowed you to get on Medicaid, which was
almost always a better plan than what I was selling, anyway.

So after that list of 20 questions, we’d really get to the meat. It was like, a 45-minute phone call, maybe.
Question: Have you or anyone on this policy ever had asthma? A history of osteoporosis? It was close to 100
questions. And after we completed it, I’d go to the underwriting department. They’d look at the application, and
obtain people’s medical records from the Medical Information Bureau, and they had the final say. Sometimes they’d
approve them cleanly, sometimes they’d flat-out deny. Or they’d approve you with a premium rate adjustment, like,
we’re going to approve you but your BMI is too high and you’re obese so we’re going to give you a 25% premium rate
increase.

Some things, like asthma, we’d approve you, but with a rider. If you need an inhaler, or an emergency visit for an
asthma attack, we’d give you a policy that covers everything except that. People would be like, that’s the whole
reason I wanted to plan! Sometimes the underwriter would uncover that the person lied to me, and I don’t really but
every time you file a claim, all those insurance companies are sharing the information with each other. So that would
be an awkward conversation I’d have to have.

There were horrible moments, fairly frequently. I got through it because you rationalize it in various ways. You
know, I just work here at the call center, I don’t make the rules. But there was a lot of moral discomfort. I
remember many times having to console people.

This is one of the strangest circumstances, but I encountered it a lot: Sometimes when a mother and father split up,
it was common for the mother to get sole custody, and the father to be required by law to get insurance for the kid
as part of his child support. If he violates that, he can go to jail, be held in contempt. But we screened children
just as we screened adults.

I would get calls from these fathers, but the kid would have a condition: autism, obesity, diabetes. And we’d have to
tell the father, “We can’t insure your son.” He’d be like, I’m going to jail. I’d maybe send an email or something,
but even judges in our legal system did not understand you couldn’t just go out and get health insurance. I’d be
like, “No one is going to insure this autistic son.”

I’d be like, “No one is going to insure this autistic son.”
One call I remember, we went all the way to the underwriter, and she got declined. It was a whole family: a wife and
husband, and a couple of kids. I was dealing with the mother and one of the questions was about infertility
treatment. Our plan by default did not cover infertility treatment. She said yes, I did have infertility treatment,
but I don’t want it anymore. I’m done, I don’t want any more kids. She was still declined, and I called the
underwriter. Here was the explanation: By law if you insure a woman and that women has a child, you are insuring the
baby from the moment of birth. And women who have infertility treatments, research shows they have a higher risk of
complications in pregnancies, babies with lower birth rates. So it’s riskier, but the idea was that since we don’t
want to insure this baby that she’s never going to have, we’re not going to insure her.

[snip]

Dewayne-Net RSS Feed: http://dewaynenet.wordpress.com/feed/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/wa8dzp