Interesting People mailing list archives

Data Analytics, App Developers, and Facebook's Role in Data Misuse

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2018 09:15:39 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Date: March 21, 2018 at 9:00:07 AM EDT
To: Multiple recipients of Dewayne-Net <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] Data Analytics, App Developers, and Facebook's Role in Data Misuse

[Note:  This item comes from friend David Rosenthal.  DLH]

Data Analytics, App Developers, and Facebook’s Role in Data Misuse
By Daphne Keller, Q&A with Sharon Driscoll
Mar 20 2018
<https://law.stanford.edu/2018/03/20/data-analytic-companies-app-developers-facebooks-role-data-misuse/>

Facebook has come under increased scrutiny in recent months,  the social media giant’s efforts to protect its users’
data questioned. Now, it has come to light that Cambridge Analytica, a data analytics company that has been credited
with playing a role in the Leave campaign for Britain’s EU membership referendum andin the digital operations of
Donald Trump’s election campaign, was given access to the personal information of millions of Facebook users through
an independent app developer. How is the data collected by Facebook and its app developers used? Is it protected
sufficiently?  In the discussion that follows, Daphne Keller, Director of Intermediary Liability at the Stanford
Center for Internet and Society, discusses these issues.

Can you help us to understand the role of Global Science Research (GSR), a development company that allegedly
harvested tens of millions of Facebook profiles and provided the data to Cambridge Analytica?

The reporting on this keeps evolving, but here is what I think we know as of now. GSR built a Facebook quiz app, and
some 270,000 FB users installed it. Some were paid to do so. Like most Facebook (FB) apps, it collected information
from people who installed it. And, like many FB apps, it collected far more information than would seem to be
necessary for the app’s purpose or utility to the user. This included not only information about the user who
installed it, but information about his or her FB friends (FB has since limited apps’ ability to collect that info).
It was supposedly this info about friends that brought the number of affected people up to a reported 50 million.

All this info flowed to the app developers with FB’s permission, subject to the Terms of Service agreed to between
the developer and FB. Users nominally consented via their own TOS agreement with FB and FB’s Privacy Policy. And I
suspect they would have seen—but mostly ignored— a disclosure of data the app collected in some kind of pop-up or
other UI element at the time of installation. But I haven’t seen reporting to confirm that, and this aspect of FB’s
UI has changed over time, so possibly the notice was less conspicuous.

So how did Facebook user data get to Cambridge Analytica (CA)?

What happened here was a breach of the developer’s agreement with FB — not some kind of security breach or hacking.
GSR did more with the data than the TOS permitted—both in terms of keeping it around and in terms of sharing it with
CA. We have no way of knowing whether other developers did the same thing. FB presumably doesn’t know either, but
they do (per reporting) have audit rights in their developer agreements, so they, more than anyone, could have
identified the problem sooner. And the overall privacy design of FB apps has been an open invitation for developments
like this from the beginning. This is a story about an ecosystem full of privacy risk, and the inevitable abuse that
resulted.  It’s not about a security breach.

Is this a widespread problem among app developers?

Before we rush to easy answers, there is a big picture here that will take a long time to sort through. The whole app
economy, including Android and iPhone apps, depends on data sharing. That’s what makes many apps work—from
constellation mapping apps that use your location, to chat apps that need your friends’ contact information. Ideally
app developers will collect only the data they actually need—they should not get a data firehose. Platforms should
have policies to this effect and should give users granular controls over data sharing.

User control is important in part because platform control can have real downsides. Different platforms take more or
less aggressive stances in controlling apps. The more controlling a platform is, the more it acts as a chokepoint,
preventing users from finding or using particular apps. That has competitive consequences (what if Android’s store
didn’t offer non-Google maps apps?). It also has consequences for information access and censorship, as we have seen
with Apple removing the NYT app and VPN apps from the app store in China.

For my personal policy preferences, and probably for most people’s, we would have wanted FB to be much more
controlling, in terms of denying access to these broad swathes of information. At the same time, the rule can’t be
that platforms can’t support apps or share data unless the platform takes full legal responsibility for what the app
does. Then we’d have few apps, and incumbent powerful platforms would hold even more power. So, there is a
long-complicated policy discussion to be had here. It’s frustrating that we didn’t start it years ago when these apps
launched, but hopefully at least we will have it now.

[snip]

Dewayne-Net RSS Feed: http://dewaynenet.wordpress.com/feed/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/wa8dzp