Interesting People mailing list archives

“KGRI Great Thinker Series - Cyber Civilization: Prologue” on December 7, 2018

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2018 15:50:57 +0900

I know many of you, most, are not in Japan, but I would appreciate it if you would forward this to any colleagues
and/or friends that may be in Japan.
It  will be streamed but not in real time.

We will also be awarding the Farber Prize for Undergranduate  student papers in the areas of research of the Center.

Many thanks

Dave

Poster:
https://www.ccrc.keio.ac.jp/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/2018-12-07-poster.pdf
<https://www.ccrc.keio.ac.jp/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/2018-12-07-poster.pdf>

Registration:
https://ccrc-kgri2018.peatix.com <https://ccrc-kgri2018.peatix.com/>

Message:

Keio University Cyber Civilization Research Center sincerely invites you to the “KGRI Great Thinker Series - Cyber
Civilization: Prologue” on December 7, 2018.  This public lecture will take place in
the North Hall, Keio University Mita Campus at 9:00-15:30.

Bringing together three international experts, “KGRI Great Thinker Series - Cyber Civilization: Prologue” will take you
a deep dive into the emerging Cyber Civilization—looking into the opportunities
and challenges that technology brings to education, business, humanity and the society.  Do not miss this chance to
hear from the brightest minds working in multidisciplinary research backgrounds, and
 gleam exclusive insights in preparation to be the ahead of the curve.

Technology is transforming the world around us.  How could we act to grasp the opportunity that it offers and what
shall we consider in planning our future?  It is important for us to understand and e
valuate how this emerging trend of technology development challenges the fundamental notion of human civilization.
Please find details and registration form at https://ccrc-kgri2018.peatix.com <https://ccrc-kgri2018.peatix.com/>.

We hope to see you there!

Keynote Highlights:
1.      9:00-9:10 Opening Remarks
PROFESSOR JUN MURAI
Co-Director, Cyber Civilization Research Center, Keio University

2.      9:10-10:10 “Moving the Boundaries of Humanity – Regulation by and of Algorithms”
PROFESSOR JONATHAN CAVE
Senior Research Fellow in Economics, University of Warwick, and
Turing Fellow, The Alan Turing Institute

3.      10:25-11:25 “Civilizations’ Economic Drivers: Babylon to Bitstream”
PROFESSOR GERALD FAULHABER
Professor Emeritus of Business Economics and Public Policy, University of Pennsylvania, and
Former Chief Economist, Federal Communications and Commissions

4.      12:40-13:40 “The Role of a Liberal Arts Education in a Technological Civilization”
PROFESSOR LISA DOLLING
Provost/Vice President for Academic & Student Affairs, Rosemont College

5.      14:00-15:30 “Panel Discussion: What is the future of Cyber Civilization in Japan”
In addition to the above keynote speakers, we invite senior Japanese intellectuals together with Professor David Farber
(Distinguished Professor, Keio University and Co Director of CCRC ) to exchange insights.
Facilitator: Professor Jiro Kokuryo (Vice-President and Professor, Faculty of Policy Management, Graduate School of
Media and Governance, Keio University)

Event Information: