Interesting People mailing list archives

re Using information security to explain why disinformation makes autocracies stronger and democracies weaker

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2018 12:31:30 +0900

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ross Stapleton-Gray <ross.stapletongray () gmail com>
Date: November 30, 2018 12:17:03 JST
To: DAVID FARBER <dave () farber net>, Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Using information security to explain why disinformation makes autocracies stronger and democracies
weaker

On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 6:40 PM Dave Farber <farber () gmail com> wrote:
A widely held belief on the political right is that the most important "freedom" is private property rights, and
since rich people are always outnumbered by poor people, subscribers to this ideology hold that "freedom is
incompatible with democracy," because in a fair vote, the majority 99% will vote to redistribute the fortunes of the
minority 1%. In this conception, the rich are the only "oppressed minority" who can't be defended by democracy.

Everything I know I learned from musical theater, and Peter Stone and Sherman Edwards address why the above calculus
fails perfectly in their "1776," in an exchange between John Hancock and John Dickinson:

Hancock: "Fortunately there are not enough men of property in America to dictate policy."

Dickinson: "Perhaps not. But don't forget that most men without property would rather protect the possibility of
becoming rich than face the reality of being poor."