Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: U.S. allows PGP crypto exports

From: mea culpa <jericho () DIMENSIONAL COM>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 02:50:27 -0700

Reply From: Darren Reed <darrenr () reed wattle id au>

      All this news of deregulated crypto from the USA is very good, but
in recent times, we've also been hearing about other countries ramping up
their support of Wassenaar, which the USA has been pushing hard for a long
time.  It almost seems like the US Government has gone out of its way to
get other countries to prohibit international trade in the crypto market
so it alone can have (and control) it.  Either that or expecting
signatories to pay (at best) lip service to Wassenaar would not seem too
implausible.  Or maybe I'm just being a tad on the paranoid/conspirital
side.

Darren

ISN is sponsored by Security-Focus.COM