Information Security News mailing list archives

Borders on the Internet are Internet security!

From: mea culpa <jericho () DIMENSIONAL COM>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 18:27:52 -0600

From: rdom <rdom () thing net>

China Youth Daily, 9/13/99
http://www.sinopolis.com/

Some believe that national borders do not exist on the Internet.
Absolutely not! Borders on the Internet are Internet security!

Some believe that the threats on the Web are only from "viruses" and
"hackers." Absolutely not! There are also threats from information
hegemony and cultural infiltration!

Today when we are entering a Web age, Web security has become an important
indicator of a new and necessary concept of security for the state. The
key to Web security is in grasping "web domination."  Without "web
domination" there is no Web and information security.  In today¡¯s
society, politics, economy, military, and social activities are gradually
depending on networking. As a major infrastructure component of the state,
networking will certainly become a main target of information warfare of
the 21st century.

With the development of computer networks, network society formed
gradually. Online territory became another dimension besides land, ocean,
sky, and space, and became part of the territory under sovereign
jurisdiction. However, different from the territory of the conventional
sense and though online territory belongs to the field of national
sovereignty and security, it does not have clearly definable borders, and
any web user can enter this dimension and conduct activities. This creates
conflicts occurring in this "soft border" more secretive and dangerous.

Conflicts on the web have neither smoke nor bloodshed; it is very likely
that the opponent has already launched an attack or already won a decisive
victory while you are still unaware. The attacks by computer "viruses" and
"hackers," the infiltration of web culture, and the unfair invasion of the
people who horde web information will politically deceive the people,
cause economic losses, leak out classified military intelligence (and
hence lose the power to command), and cause ideological chaos and social
disturbances. In this respect, attacks and infiltration in the online
territory can be deadly for national politics, economy, military, and
society.

Because of this, we can say that "web domination = territorial
domination," and we must firmly establish the awareness for the security
of national defense online. We must develop an independent national
Internet industry so that our online territory and sovereignty is not
violated. But how is the current situation?

[snip..]

ISN is sponsored by Security-Focus.COM