Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: Boosting Cyber-Defense - Security press briefing now at 2 pm on Wednesday

From: mea culpa <jericho () DIMENSIONAL COM>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 17:16:12 -0600

Reply From: Aleph One <aleph1 () underground org>

On Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 04:56:21PM -0600, mea culpa wrote:
MITRE and Top Security Experts Announce Initiative to Boost Cyber-Defenses
September 29 Audio Teleconference Press Conference

The MITRE Corporation has joined with the CERT Coordination Center, IBM
Research, Cisco Systems and 16 other leading information security
organizations to launch a major new initiative to strengthen
cyber-defenses across industry and government.  Top security experts will
participate in a press teleconference on Wednesday, September 29, 1999, at
2:00 pm to discuss the details of the initiative:

Man, what a load of crap. "Boost Cyber-Defenses". Hah! Well since I am one
of the people participating in the CVE I might as well clear the air.  The
CVE is nothing more than a listing of security vulnerabilities and
possibly risks (they like to call them exposures). Please note that the
CVE does not contain in-depth information about the vulnerabilities (such
as how to fix them). It is simply means as a list of IDs that can be used
to match up different vulnerability databases, vulnerability scanners or
intrusion detection systems. So when you try to compare say ISS Internet
Scanner and NAI's CyberCop you can get a somewhat meaningful number.

Now I would hardly call this "boosting our cyber-defences", but I guess
that is why I don't write press releases.

--
Aleph One / aleph1 () underground org
http://underground.org/