Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft IIS security hole persists despite available patch

From: InfoSec News <isn () C4I ORG>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 13:19:15 -0500

Forwarded by: Marc <marc () eeye com>

I am guessing the exploit in question was IISHack which we released last
year on June 15th. http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,20231,00.html

"which allows anyone with a Web browser to gain admin-level access to a
server" thats wrong as anyone, with half a technical brain, would know.

| The hole enables an unauthorised visitor to determine what version of
| NT is running, and to see or easily guess file and directory locations
| with a mind towards further exploitation of the site.

Some more technical inaccuracies.

| On an e-commerce site with a shopping cart application running,
| the flaw can make it easy to compromise consumers' account details.

Add on some fear factor and you have your self an article to make your 1
article a week deadline.

Pitiful reporting but yes there still are many sites vulnerable over a year
later.

Signed,
Marc Maiffret
Chief Hacking Officer
eCompany / eEye
T.949.675.8160
F.949.675.8191
http://www.eEye.com

ISN is hosted by SecurityFocus.com
---
To unsubscribe email LISTSERV () SecurityFocus com with a message body of
"SIGNOFF ISN".