Information Security News mailing list archives

Q&A: On threats to the online marketplace

From: InfoSec News <isn () C4I ORG>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 01:11:38 -0500

http://www.mercurycenter.com/svtech/news/indepth/docs/qa071000.htm

Posted at 11:08 a.m. PDT Monday, July 10, 2000

Jeffery Hunker, a senior director at the National Security Council's
Office of Transnational Threats, recently attended a Washington, D.C.,
workshop on business-to-business marketplaces to warn executives about
the ``dirty little secret'' of e-business. Hunker warned that most of
the hardware and software used to build the New Economy is not
designed to withstand hostile attacks or intrusions. In a conversation
with Mercury News Staff Writer Elise Ackerman, Hunker elaborated on
the national security concerns posed by e-marketplaces and information
technology.

Q: When people think business-to-business, they don't usually think
transnational threat. Why is the National Security Council concerned
about electronic marketplaces?

A: We are very concerned about a rapidly emerging set of threats to
our national infrastructure. These arise because we have this
wonderful dependence on electronic information systems and
cyber-systems on the Internet. It brings us lots of benefits that we
all are enjoying. But -- and this is a big but -- none of these
systems were ever designed with security in mind. What we're seeing is
a range of threats emerging very rapidly.

Q: What types of threats do you see?

A: We've got countries like China and Russia that have publicly
announced that their military and intelligence are developing the
capability of breaking into U.S. computers and information systems.
The Chinese have talked in terms of (a possible) confrontation with
the United States (and) using electronic disruptions to our banking
system.

We know that there are very sophisticated terrorist groups and
criminal cartels that also have the capabilities of the same sort of
disruption. It could be to break into banking records, to manipulate
financial markets or to steal money. It could be to break into
personal records for the means of blackmail. It could be to disrupt
military and government operations. It could be just to cause chaos
and havoc.

For example, the electric power grid now runs off of an Internet-based
management system. Air traffic control is moving to an Internet-based
control system. The potential exists right now to disrupt those
systems, to subvert them.

Q: How vulnerable are information technology systems to attack?