Information Security News mailing list archives

VA devotes day to security

From: InfoSec News <isn () C4I ORG>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 21:26:25 -0600

http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2000/1030/web-va-10-30-00.asp

BY Judi Hasson
10/30/2000

The Department of Veterans Affairs will hold a special event Nov. 3 to
highlight the importance of computer security and the responsibility
of the VAs 220,000 employees to avoid lapses.

"We need to bring to the Computer Age the same values and commitment
that VA employees have always shown when it comes to protecting the
confidentiality of information about our veterans," acting VA
secretary Hershel Gober said.

Among the days events:

* Gober is expected to announce that some senior managers will be
  rated on their performance of computer security issues as part of
  their annual evaluations.

* Experts on computer and Internet security will appear on a
  closed-circuit broadcast to all VA facilities.

The special day comes in the wake of criticism of computer security at
the VA. A private company hired earlier this year was able to break
into VAs computer systems numerous times and could have used VA data
to apply for phony credentials or conduct other fraudulent activities.

"Computer security needs to become embedded within the culture of
VA," said Edward Meagher, special assistant to Gober for information
technology.

"Communications without intelligence is noise;  Intelligence
without communications is irrelevant." Gen Alfred. M. Gray, USMC