Information Security News mailing list archives

From the local blotter page...

From: InfoSec News <isn () C4I ORG>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 01:34:15 -0500

[Apart from the usual shoplifting, speeding, DWI's, damage to
property, and the rare indecent exposure report, I think this is
the first time I have seen computer hacking hitting the blotter
page. From the looks of it, This kid got off really lightly.  -WK]

Skokie Lerner Life Newspaper
October 19, 2000

A computer-hacking 12 year old was suspended for 10 days from
McCracken Middle School after he accessed computer files kept by the
school between September 15th and Tuesday October 10th, according to a
police report.

The principal at the school, 8000 East Prairie Road, said the boy
acknowledeged that in mid-September he installed a "sniffer" program
designed to relay all data from school computers to his home, police
said.

Reports said that he got passwords, read teachers e-mail and deleted a
student's homework.

ISN is hosted by SecurityFocus.com
---
To unsubscribe email LISTSERV () SecurityFocus com with a message body of
"SIGNOFF ISN".