Information Security News mailing list archives

Cop accidentally shoots colleague

From: InfoSec News <isn () C4I ORG>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 06:12:50 -0500

[Nice thing about informal computer security training sessions is
you don't have to worry about your trainer killing you in the
process!  -WK]

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/northcounty/20001021-9999_2m21shoot.html

2 were showing rookie the risks of traffic stops

By Elizabeth Wilberg Fitzsimons
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
October 21, 2000

OCEANSIDE -- An Oceanside policeman accidentally shot another officer
yesterday morning as the two were teaching a rookie officer about the
unpredictability of high-risk traffic stops.

The three were holding an informal training session near Whelan Lake
when an officer, who was identified only as a six-year veteran, was
shot above his right knee by a fellow training officer.

"I'm just thankful that no one was seriously hurt," said Oceanside
police Chief Michael Poehlman. "Until I see the full, detailed
investigation it's really hard for me to know what happened."

The shooting occurred about 6 a.m. on Whelan Lake Road. The two
veteran officers were showing the rookie how quickly a suspect can
physically threaten police during a traffic stop, police said.

The first officer got out of his patrol car and ran at the second
officer. The second officer drew his gun -- which he thought was
unloaded -- and fired a shot into his colleague's leg.

The officer who fired the shot was identified only as a four-year
veteran.

The wounded officer was taken to a hospital and reportedly was doing
well yesterday. He was expected to be released this morning.

The rookie, an officer-in-training who was recently sworn in, was
completing a required 22-week training program.

All three officers have been placed on paid administrative leave until
the Police Department finishes its investigation, said Oceanside
police spokeswoman Karen McDonough.

Poehlman said he could remember only one other instance in his 22
years with the Oceanside Police Department in which an officer was
shot during training. Years ago, he said, an officer accidentally shot
himself at the firing range.

"Communications without intelligence is noise;  Intelligence
without communications is irrelevant." Gen Alfred. M. Gray, USMC