Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: Experts play down flaw of encryption software

From: InfoSec News <isn () C4I ORG>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 20:41:02 -0600

Forwarded by: Brooks Isoldi <bjisoldi () acsu buffalo edu>

I think Mr. Zimmerman underestimates the use of PGP.  I am a college
student living in a 3 person dorm.  Last year I lived in a 4 person
dorm room.  More than once my computer has been tampered with- usually
as pranks and jokes to increase my warning level on Instant Messenger.
However, I rely heavily on PGP when communicating with certain people
about certain things and the fact that someone in my room (or down the
hall) dared to touch my computer(s) made me worry about something like
physical access to my machine and stuf like PGP.  This flaw just makes
it worse.  I cant use a windows screen saver as it frequently locks up
the computer after long amounts of use, so Ive had to install a
security program to lock the screen.  However the computer COULD just
be rebooted, in which case I put a BIOS password on, however even BIOS
passwords can be bypassed with a simple jumper switch.  Mr. Zimmerman,
a flaw like that is much more serious than you think.  Lets not just
worry about corporate espionage, but perhaps some of the other users
as well. College students dont have the time, the inclination or the
need for security policies such as encrypting hard drives, biometrics
(although it would be cool and im thinking of getting a thumbprint one
for kicks), security camera's, etc etc etc.  A college student needs
his computer to be easily accessible and convenient and usually dont
want a password-screen saver to pop up after 10 seconds of not using
it.  We download movies, mp3's and stress relief programs that allow
you to virtually shoot, burn, infect with termites and stamp your
screen, talk over Instant Messenger to people 2 feet away from us,
play Yahoo chess, and are the worst case of a network administrators
worst nightmare...But some of us DO have the need for basic security
for stuff we have no control over once it leaves our computer
(encrypted email)- and if for one moment you think that there arent
any college kids who would have the inclination to go snooping in the
computers of someone like me your dead wrong.  Having three computers
at my desk makes them a well eyeballed target.

Brooks Isoldi
The Intelligence Network
http://www.intellnet.org
877-581-3724  [Voicemail/Fax]