Information Security News mailing list archives

RE: CRYPTO-GRAM, May 15, 2001

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 00:49:56 -0500 (CDT)

From: "Gary L. Jackson" <GARY.L.JACKSON () saic com>

All:

Bruce's remarks prompt me to tell you about a brochure I did for the
Joint Staff in the Pentagon:

Information Assurance Through Defense in Depth

You can find it at

http://www.dtic.mil:80/jcs/j6/j6k/did.pdf
<http://www.dtic.mil:80/jcs/j6/j6k/did.pdf>

One of the key points is that we need to continue to find ways to
fight back, just as those who built and improved medieval castle
defenses created ways to fight back.  I quote from the brochure and
put in bold the key phrase:

"The dynamically evolving defenses of the medieval castle offer a
valuable analogy

In that violent age, castles offered secure bases for armed forces to
control key terrain. In response to changing threats, they evolved
from simple to complex and very strong fortifications, following two
principles: (1) increase and strengthen the defensive barriers, and
(2) provide means to fight back actively. Castles on strong
foundations, often on higher ground, employed successive barriers such
as water obstacles, ditches, rings of strong and high walls with
overhangs, and towers. Improvements to the walls allowed defenders to
engage the attacker, and multiple gates enabled local counterattacks
and raids. A small force could hold out against a much larger
adversary. Just as the castle protected critical resources, now we
must defend our vital military information and actively fight back
with appropriate responses."

Sincerely,

Gary L. Jackson, Ph.D.
Senior Systems Engineer
Science Applications International Corporation (SAIC)
1953 Gallows Road  Suite 260   MS V-1-1
Vienna   VA   22182
Email:  gary.L.jackson () saic com
Phone: (703) 610-4165
Fax:  (703) 714-0172

ISN is hosted by SecurityFocus.com
---
To unsubscribe email isn-unsubscribe () SecurityFocus com.