Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: Israel under hack attack

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 02:19:29 -0500 (CDT)

Fowarded from: irado furioso com tudo <irado () subdimension com>

InfoSec News wrote:

Forwarded from: William Knowles <wk () c4i org>

as per another list/friend, it is a big FUD:

:=================
This is yet another example of a security firm desperately attempting
to generate business in a recession. There have been quite a few FUD
stories lately reporting non-news:

Hack Attack, How you might be a target:
http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/ptech/04/12/hack.dangers/index.html

Experts: Chat rooms a haven for hackers:
http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/internet/04/10/hackers.chat.rooms/index.html?related

Want Free Software? Be prepared for Surprises:
http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/ptech/04/14/tag.along.software.ap/index.html

Net blamed for marital breakups:
http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/internet/04/15/internet.breakup/index.html

What these all have in common is that they are "duh" stories written
by naive reporters providing free advertisement for some security
company/pundit. There is no real news in any of these.

Journalists (as I use this term very loosely in reference to the
authors of the above articles) really need to do a better job
determining if there really is a story. A journalist I know contacted
mi2g at one point to ask what methods they use to map web defacement
trends and what their sources were. Pretty basic question - verify the
facts. Mi2g never responded and she killed the story. We need to have
more journalists do this.

.sioda.