Information Security News mailing list archives

RE: PATCH DELAY? Buffer Overflow in UPnP Service On Microsoft Windows

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 01:10:56 -0600 (CST)

Forwarded from: security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org>
cc: mcdonald_patrick () bah com

Forwarded from: McDonald Patrick <mcdonald_patrick () bah com>

I don't have an issue with how long Microsoft took to issue.  I
have issue with Microsoft not notifying their customers.  How many
people could have been exploited and never known?  Microsoft could
have taken their sweet time as long they advise the consumer on
how to protect themselves until the patch was loaded.

.. and something I have harped on before. What is the point of
providing an email address during product registration if they don't
use it? This is one time where e-mail would probably be welcomed by
anyone using their products, yet Microsoft still opts not to inform
their customer base.

-
ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

To unsubscribe email majordomo () attrition org with 'unsubscribe isn' in the BODY
of the mail.