Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: Fluffy Bunny No Longer Energized

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 02:08:26 -0500 (CDT)

Forwarded from: Darren Reed <darrenr () reed wattle id au>

In some email I received from InfoSec News, sie wrote:
http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,54040,00.html
[...]
Using their undetected toehold in Akamai's network, last year some of
the group's members contemplated a massive, distributed
denial-of-service (DDoS) attack on the Internet's 13 domain-name root
servers, according to a source close to Fluffy Bunny.

[...]

One thing you've got to realise is that in doing this it would also
"kill the Internet" for this group of hackers.

Hacking into web sites maybe fun, as with causing specific web sites
problems with their web servers but if your attack makes your play
thing next to useless to yourself, well what's the point of that ?
It's not like they can just throw it away and get a new one.

Unfortunately I doubt this was a concern of those involved...

Darren

-
ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

To unsubscribe email majordomo () attrition org with 'unsubscribe isn'
in the BODY of the mail.