Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: FC: CBDTPA bans everything from two-line BASIC programs to PCs

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 01:04:57 -0600 (CST)

Forwarded from: Aj Effin Reznor <aj () reznor com>

"InfoSec News was known to say....."

It's no joke. CBDTPA regulates "any hardware or software that
reproduces copyrighted works in digital form." My program above does
that, especially if my BASIC interpreter permits arbitrarily long
strings.

The business end of the CBDTPA says that "a manufacturer, importer,
or seller" of such software cannot "sell, or offer for sale, in
interstate commerce, or cause to be transported in, or in a manner
affecting, interstate commerce" their code unless it "includes and
utilizes standard security technologies that adhere to the security
system standards adopted under section 3."

Better yet, MS, NS, Opera, et al, can be held accountable under this.

Scenario:
        I run a web server.
        Client types in my url.
        Client clicks on a link on resulting page.
        Client, through browser, has reproduced *my* work.  Violation?

I know, I know, I should not be suprised at the stupidity of humans,
esp. those in office.  But really, this is up there with the DMCA.....

-aj.

-
ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

To unsubscribe email majordomo () attrition org with 'unsubscribe isn' in the BODY
of the mail.