Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: INFOSEC: Certifiably Certified

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 06:16:43 -0600 (CST)

Forwarded from: Richard Forno <rforno () infowarrior org>

Forwarded from: "BERNARD, Mark" <MEBERNAR () mccain ca>

Certification simply implies that a person has a basic level of
knowledge it does not imply that they know how to use that knowledge
that only comes with experience and/or mentoring.

Agreed, but as many of the comments to my article note at the
Securityfocus.Com site, too many HR and management drones don't know
technology and use certs as a major discriminator on sorting resumes.
That's a problem.  No cert? You're obviously not a serious contender
in the security field.

That's a BS mentality, and probably part of why security's the way it
is.

If you look at the most revered professions within our society you
will see that some level of certification under a common body of
knowledge is necessary for that profession to become stable and
continue to develop. A few examples are lawyers, doctors, mechanics,
etc...

(I don't think lawyers are that revered in our society, do you?)

In the case of evidence-handling, sure....that's a VERY specialized
field within the INFOSEC world. But knowing someone's passed a test
and knows the basics of security theory (or in some cases, limited
practical evaluations) is not a good reason for revering someone for
having a cert.

Rick
Infowarrior.org

-
ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

To unsubscribe email majordomo () attrition org with 'unsubscribe isn'
in the BODY of the mail.