Information Security News mailing list archives

DHS poised for mock terror attacks

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 04:16:02 -0500 (CDT)

http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2003/0505/web-cooper-05-06-03.asp

By Judi Hasson
May 6, 2003

SAVANNAH, Ga. -- The information technology team at the Homeland
Security Department (DHS) will be working around the clock next week
to monitor an exercise simulating a terrorist attack on Seattle and
Chicago, the department's chief information officer said today.

Steve Cooper said his team of top-level IT officials would be looking
for any cybersecurity lapses and actions that should have been taken
but were not.

"We'll be watching for lessons learned: Is there something we missed?
Do we need to fill a gap?" he told Federal Computer Week at the
semiannual CIO Summit, sponsored by FCW Media Group.

The five-day exercise, known as TopOff 2 (Top Officials 2), will begin
May 12. It will include DHS and the State Department working in
conjunction with federal, state, local and Canadian officials. The
exercise will analyze the response to a terrorist attack.

The operation includes a sequence of events that would happen in a
terrorist campaign with weapons of mass destruction. The operation
will simulate a radiological device explosion in Seattle and a covert
biological attack in Chicago, and evaluate how authorities respond to
these incidents.

Some 25 agencies and the American Red Cross will be involved in the
exercise, DHS Secretary Tom Ridge said May 5 in discussing the event.

-
ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

To unsubscribe email majordomo () attrition org with 'unsubscribe isn'
in the BODY of the mail.