Information Security News mailing list archives

Hackers threaten power network

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 04:46:20 -0500 (CDT)

http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article.jhtml?articleID=636486

Norway's power grid is subject to aggressive hacking every day,
carried out by computer terrorists apparently intent on cutting
electricity to wide areas of the country. Agencies in charge of power
production and the network have so far managed to thwart their
efforts.

Employees at Statkraft, Norway's largest power producer, are being
forced to use tremendous resources to maintain the so-called "fire
walls" in its computer system. If they fail, Norway may be subject to
the same kind of massive power failures that recently hit Italy,
eastern Canada and the US.

"We have daily visits from trespassers who try to break into our
system," Tor Inge Akselsen of Statnett told newspaper Aftenposten
Tuesday. Statnett is in charge of Norway's power network.

Neither Statkraft nor Statnett know who they're up against, only that
it's critically important to keep their systems secure.

A massive power failure in Oslo would halt all trains and trams and
disrupt everything from mobile phone traffic to street lights. Back-up
generators in key areas, however, would provide power to government
offices, hospitals, broadcast outlets and the main airport at
Gardermoen.

-
ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

To unsubscribe email majordomo () attrition org with 'unsubscribe isn'
in the BODY of the mail.