Information Security News mailing list archives

Yale School of Medicine Statement on Laptop Computer Theft

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 02:06:35 -0500 (CDT)

http://opa.yale.edu/news/article.aspx?id=7696

August 18, 2010

New Haven, Conn. -- Yale School of Medicine today announced that it has
begun notifying approximately 1,000 individuals whose clinical health
information was contained on a laptop computer that was recently stolen.
There is no indication that any individual information on the computer
has been misused.

Yale and New Haven Police Departments have been working closely together
and will continue to pursue any leads. The computer was stolen on the
night of July 28 and was reported as missing the next morning. No Social
Security, financial or insurance numbers were contained in the
computer’s files. The computer was owned by Yale and stolen from the
office of a data analyst at the Yale School of Medicine. While access to
the stolen laptop was protected by a password, the laptop was not
encrypted.

Robert Alpern, M.D., Dean of the School of Medicine said, “We deeply
regret this incident. The School of Medicine considers the privacy of
its patients of paramount importance. In addition to affirming all of
our existing measures to protect patient privacy, we are moving to
introduce immediately several security upgrades.”

All of the affected individuals are being sent personal letters or will
be contacted directly. Those individuals may call a Yale information
hotline at 877-751-3361.  Yale has also notified and is working closely
with the appropriate governmental and health agencies.