Information Security News mailing list archives

BlackBerry agrees to address India's security concerns: MHA

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 04:02:14 -0500 (CDT)

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/business/india-business/BlackBerry-agrees-to-address-Indias-security-concerns-MHA/articleshow/6232306.cms

The Times of India
July 29, 2010

NEW DELHI: The government today said the makers of BlackBerry - Research
in Motion (RIM) - has given an assurance to it on soon addressing its
security concerns and hoped that the Canadian service provider and
security agencies would be on the "same page".

"BlackBerry has assured the Ministry of Home Affairs that the issue of
monitoring of the BlackBerry will be sorted out soon...I am sure we will
soon be on the same page and our concerns will be addressed," Special
Security (Internal Security) in the MHA Utthan Kumar Bansal told
reporters on the sidelines of a function here.

Government has already warned the popular smartphone company that if it
does not allow it to monitor emails and SMSes to address security
concerns, it will have to close down operations in the country, spelling
trouble for over a million BlackBerry users in India.

The government has said the RIM will have to address its
security-related issues by allowing monitoring facility in India.

[...]

Attend Black Hat USA 2010, hosted at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas, Nevada
July 24-29th, offering over 60 training sessions and 11 tracks of Briefings
from security industry elite. To sign up visit http://www.blackhat.com