Information Security News mailing list archives

There's no 911 for cybercrime. If there were, would you call?

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 01:43:16 -0500 (CDT)

http://www.csoonline.com/article/704947/there-s-no-911-for-cybercrime.-if-there-were-would-you-call-

By Nick Selby
CSO
April 25, 2012

If you work for a large corporation, you hear lots of talk about corporate responsibility, and that's great. But I can't help but point out that, whether it is intentional, there is a massive and growing hypocrisy in the corporate world when it comes to prosecuting crime.

When I worked at a large company about 20 years ago, a mid-level manager told me the company showed it was serious about crime when he called the police about some minor vandalism to the doorways of our corporate headquarters. I'm certainly not saying that companies shouldn't act aggressively to ensure that employees and the public observe the rule and the spirit of law. Quite the contrary.

But it's anecdotally clear that most companies simply don't call the authorities when they experience criminal losses through online attacks. We in the industry know this, but I wonder if the assumptions we make as to why this is so are correct. It's especially important to consider this now, as we're in the middle of what can only be called a "conversion convergence" which continues to see increases in use of the Internet to monetize stolen information and to launder ill-gotten gains.

I've often said that there is no 9-1-1 for cybercrime. But I wonder: If there were, would anyone call?

[...]

LayerOne Security Conference
May 26-27, Clarion Hotel, Anaheim, CA
http://www.layerone.org