Information Security News mailing list archives

Former ECE student charged with hacking professor’s account

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 04:09:10 -0600 (CST)

http://www.dailyillini.com/news/campus/article_1a22475e-66ab-11e2-b767-0019bb30f31a.html

By Carina Lee
Staff writer
The Daily Illini
January 25, 2013

Sung Dan Lee, senior in Engineering, had been expecting to take his Electrical and Computer Engineering 329 class exam Nov. 29 at 7 p.m. But when he received an unexpected email with the subject “ECE 329 Exam 3 Solutions for Sale,” he became suspicious.

The email stated: “Sales stop at 17:57 CST, and all keys are distributed at 18:02 CST. You will be refunded if some white knight snitches to the damn professors...but we can all cooperate, amrite? ;-)”

Police are charging Daniel Beckwitt, a former University student, with sending this illicit email and others in a string of hacks that became attributed to one “ECE Hacker.” University police officers arrested Beckwitt last Friday at his home in Urbana. He appeared in court Tuesday, where he was formally charged with five counts: property damage, two counts of computer fraud, tampering with documents and illegally possessing a firearm. His next court appearance is scheduled for Feb. 5.

“I thought these incidents only happen in the movies and couldn’t believe that it could actually happen in one of my classes,” Lee said. “We were like ‘Maybe this guy was too scared to take the exam,’ and that was why he did such things.”

[...]

Visit the InfoSec News Security Bookstore
Best Selling Security Books and More!
http://www.shopinfosecnews.org