Information Security News mailing list archives

Official confirms cyberattack on system

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 01:36:04 -0500 (CDT)

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/front/archives/2013/05/25/2003563107

By Shih Hsiu-chuan and Chris Wang
Taipei Times Staff reporters
May 25, 2013

The government experienced a cyberattack on the electronic interchange system for official documents early this month, but no confidential information was stolen, an Executive Yuan official confirmed yesterday following local media reports.

While keeping mum on its findings in tracing the hacking, the Executive Yuan’s Office of Information and Communication Security said it has ruled out hackers in the Philippines, who earlier this month used denial-of-service attacks to crash the Web sites of several government departments when tensions between the two countries were running high following the fatal shooting of a Taiwanese fisherman by Philippine Coast Guard personnel.

“We have no comment on suspected hackers. We are still looking into that,” a staff member at the office, who declined to be named, said yesterday.

Asked if the hackers were traced to China, the staff member also declined to comment.

The electronic interchange for official documents, administered by the National Archive Administration, allows government organizations at all levels, as well as schools, to transmit official documents via the network in the form of electronic files.

[...]

Visit the InfoSec News Security Bookstore
Best Selling Security Books and More!
http://www.shopinfosecnews.org