Information Security News mailing list archives

U.S. Labor Dept. Website Hacked, Serves Malware

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 01:52:15 -0500 (CDT)

http://www.informationweek.com/security/attacks/us-labor-dept-website-hacked-serves-malw/240153984

By Mathew J. Schwartz
InformationWeek.com
May 01, 2013

The U.S. Department of Labor website was hacked Tuesday evening to launch drive-by attacks at visitors' Web browsers.

That warning was sounded Wednesday morning by Jaime Blasco, director of AlientVault Labs, as well as Anup Ghosh, CEO of Invincea, both of whom reported that the Department of Labor servers had been infected by malicious code.

A Department of Labor spokeswoman, reached by phone, declined to comment on the attack reports. But Blasco said via email: "Several people within the U.S. government have been contacted so they should be working on it right now. We published this information because the exploit is still there and we are tying to warn people not to visit the website."

By late Wednesday morning, the malware campaign appeared to have been stopped. "The site has since been fixed and law enforcement is investigating," said Invincea's Ghosh in a blog entry posted late Wednesday morning.

[...]

Visit the InfoSec News Security Bookstore
Best Selling Security Books and More!
http://www.shopinfosecnews.org