Information Security News mailing list archives

Self-taught hackers rule

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 08:03:04 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.csoonline.com/article/2146363/security-leadership/self-taught-hackers-rule.html

By Taylor Armerding
CSO Online
April 23, 2014

Ilio Kolochenko, CEO of High-Tech Bridge, a Swiss information security company, gave the keynote address on governments’ role in cybersecurity this past Sunday at the Regional cybersecurity Summit in Oman.

Before his speech, he talked with CSO about why self-taught hackers are generally superior to those who go through a formal certification program, and why compliance with cybersecurity standards will remain low unless governments make it very painful to ignore it.

A recent story in The Independent said the UK’s Government Communications Headquarters (GCHQ), through approval of certain Master’s programs, had created, “the first certified degrees for spies.” Is it accurate to call a degree in cybersecurity a degree in spying?

I'd say not. Obviously some governments’ activities may be reasonably called "spying", but we should not forget that national security experts are required to use intrusive techniques to protect the nation's interests.

[...]

--
Subscribe to InfoSec News
http://www.infosecnews.org/subscribe-to-infosec-news/