Information Security News mailing list archives

PF Chang's says breach was 'highly sophisticated criminal operation'

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2014 08:49:14 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9249540/PF_Chang_39_s_says_breach_was_39_highly_sophisticated_criminal_operation_39_

By Martyn Williams
IDG News Service
July 2, 2014

Restaurant chain P.F. Chang's China Bistro says the theft of credit and debit card information from some of its restaurants earlier this year was "part of a highly sophisticated criminal operation."

But the chain, which only discovered the breach after a large batch of card numbers were offered on an Internet forum, said it's still working with the U.S. Secret Service and forensic experts to determine exactly what happened.

"We continue to make progress in our investigation into the recent security compromise that affected P.F. Chang's," said Rick Federico, CEO of PF Chang's, in a statement posted Tuesday on the company's website. "We will continue sharing important details once they have been confirmed by a team of third-party forensic experts."

The statement was the first update issued by the company in three weeks and didn't add much additional information to what was already known: that an attack apparently hit the point-of-sale systems in the company's restaurants and sucked up card numbers used between March and May of this year.

[...]

--
Evident.io - Continuous Cloud Security for AWS.
Identify and mitigate risks in 5 minutes or less.