Information Security News mailing list archives

VA Blocked Billions of Cyber Threats in March

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Mon, 4 May 2015 08:09:21 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.defenseone.com/technology/2015/05/va-blocked-billions-cyber-threats-march/111721/

BY MOHANA RAVINDRANATH
NEXTGOV
MAY 3, 2015

The Department of Veterans Affairs experienced a significant surge in cyber threats in March, Chief Information Officer Stephen Warren said during a Thursday call with reporters.

The department blocked 1.19 billion malware instances and 358 million intrusion attempts into VA systems in March alone, Warren said. This number is up since February, when VA reported blocking 930 million malware instances and 4.3 million intrusion attempts.

If the volume of threats continues to ramp up, Warren said, ”any agency will run into the point where we may get overwhelmed.” He added later, “Nothing I do will reduce what’s coming at me one bit.”

Instead, he said, VA will need to scale its cybersecurity to prevent what could be an exponential increase in threats. He said the department has been beefing up its continuous monitoring technology, reinforcing external network connections, and security training.

[...]

--
Evident.io - Continuous Cloud Security for AWS.
Identify and mitigate risks in 5 minutes or less.