Information Security News mailing list archives

Skytalks 2015 CFP - NOW OPEN

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2015 12:08:28 +0000 (UTC)

Forwarded from: bluknight <bluknight () skytalks info>

== https://skytalks.info ==

Skytalks is a 'sub-conference' that gives a unique platform for
researchers to share their research, for angry hackers to rant about
the issues of their industry, and for curious souls to probe
interesting issues, all without the watchful eye of the rest of the
world. With a strict, well-enforced "no recording" policy, research
that is underway or critical of a vendor can be aired to your peers.
You are talking to other security people, sharing your working
knowledge of a topic.

That said, this isn't a soapbox to say and trash whoever or whatever
you want. Skytalks is old-school DEF CON. We encourage handles - we
want your material to stand on its own, not what company's logo is on
your slide deck. We encourage the audience to ask questions and
challenge what does not seem to be right. Speakers will be held
accountable for their material by their peers... loudly.

We're looking for talks that are about cutting edge material, either
in-progress, or ready to be disclosed... at the risk of offending a
company. Talks that challenge the industry norms are great. Calling
out those who plague our beloved industry, welcome! Talks that are
outside the realm of a PG rating, can find (and have found) a home
here (was re: Teledildonics). First time speakers are welcome. We have
had the privilege and honor of hosting for the first time some great
names in the community. You, too, can be among that group.

What you must bring: A compelling topic, slides, and willingness to
educate and/or face your peers.

You should be: outgoing, willing to educate, wanting to learn (yes, as
a presenter), and wanting to engage your peers. If you lack any of
these skills, we can fix this. Please bring a spare liver. A good talk
is about mutual learning; it is a conversation. We just provide a room
of professionals that want to converse, over booze. Sometimes... a lot
of booze.

Your submission must include a brief abstract that explains your talk.
It must include a detailed outline of the major talking points.
Optionally, you can give us additional information or arguments about
why we should accept your talk.

What we provide: A place to present, with projectors (VGA video).
While we may have adapters on-hand, please be prepared and bring your
own. We'll have a PA system with appropriate microphones, as well as
audio input from a device if you need it. Please let us know if you
have any special requirements, such as a fire extinguisher for when
you plan to set the table on fire.

Please note: all speakers must already be badged Defcon attendees.
Skytalks cannot provide DEF CON badges for speakers, and Skytalks
badges, while great keepsakes, do not provide access to DEF CON
itself.

Also, dongs.

== https://skytalks.info ==

--
Evident.io - Continuous Cloud Security for AWS.
Identify and mitigate risks in 5 minutes or less.