Information Security News mailing list archives

Tim May, Father of 'Crypto Anarchy,' Is Dead at 67

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2018 10:04:12 +0000 (UTC)

https://reason.com/blog/2018/12/16/tim-may-influential-writer-on-crypto-ana

By Jim Epstein
Reason.com
Dec. 16, 2018

Tim May, co-founder of the influential Cypherpunks mailing list and a significant influence on both bitcoin and WikiLeaks, passed away last week at his home in Corralitos, California. The news was announced Saturday on a Facebook post written by his friend Lucky Green.

In his influential 1988 essay, "The Crypto Anarchist Manifesto," May predicted that advances in computer technology would eventually allow "individuals and groups to communicate and interact with each other" anonymously and without government intrusion. "These developments will alter completely the nature of government regulation [and] the ability to tax and control economic interactions," he wrote.

A deeply private person, May's aversion to outside intrusions defined his philosophical outlook. "'Leave me alone,'" he wrote, is "at the root of libertarianism more so than formal theories about the nature of man."

"My political philosophy is keep your hands off my stuff....Out of my files, out of my office, off what I eat, drink, and smoke," he once told journalist Andy Greenberg.

[...]

--
Subscribe to InfoSec News
https://www.infosecnews.org/subscribe-to-infosec-news/