Information Security News mailing list archives

Hong Kong's smaller businesses think 'we're too small to be hacked' despite hacking experience, insurer finds

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2019 09:34:49 +0000 (UTC)

https://www.scmp.com/business/companies/article/2182473/hong-kongs-smaller-businesses-think-were-too-small-be-hacked

By Linda Lew
South China Morning Post

Hacking is on the rise in Hong Kong. But many smaller businesses have a "we're too small to be hacked" mindset that leaves them vulnerable, according to insurance company Chubb

Chubb surveyed 300 of Hong Kong's small and medium sized businesses and found that seven out of 10 said they had experienced a cybersecurity incident such as hacking or data loss in the past year. Despite this, half of the businesses surveyed had never bought cyber insurance. Fifty-two per cent of respondents also think they are less at risk than large corporations.

"There's a perception with small businesses that 'we're too small to be hacked'," Chubb Asia-Pacific's Cyber Underwriting Manager Andrew Taylor said.

He argues that smaller companies actually have a larger exposure as they face the same risks as big businesses but lack the resources for comprehensive protection.

[...]

--
Subscribe to InfoSec News
https://www.infosecnews.org/subscribe-to-infosec-news/