Information Security News mailing list archives

Leading privacy and cybersecurity law firm investigates Tandem Diabetes Care data breach

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2020 10:14:07 +0000 (UTC)

https://www.infosecnews.org/leading-privacy-and-cybersecurity-law-firm-investigates-tandem-diabetes-care-data-breach/

By William Knowles @c4i
Senior Editor
InfoSec News
April 20, 2020

Its almost cliche at this point.

We take the privacy and confidentiality of our customers’ information very seriously and apologize for any inconvenience or concern this incident may cause our customers.

With the next sentence…

Tandem Diabetes Care, Inc. (“Tandem”) is committed to protecting the confidentiality and security of our customers’ information. Regrettably, this notice is to inform our customers of a recent phishing incident that may have involved some customer information.

Some customer information is “reputational risk management code” for only 140,781 customers.

We are continuing to invest heavily in cyber security and data protection safeguards. We are also implementing additional email security controls, strengthening our user authorization and authentication processes, and limiting the types of data permitted to be transferred via email.

On January 17, 2020, Tandem Diabetes Care learned that an unauthorized person gained access to a Tandem employee’s email account through a security incident commonly known as “phishing.”

Once we learned about the incident, we immediately secured the account and a cyber security firm was engaged to assist in our investigation. Our investigation determined that a limited number of Tandem employee email accounts may have been accessed by an unauthorized user between January 17, 2020 and January 20, 2020.

[...]
--
Subscribe to InfoSec News
https://www.infosecnews.org/subscribe-to-infosec-news/