Information Security News mailing list archives

US Cyber Command is using unclassified networks to fight election interference

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2020 06:52:52 +0000 (UTC)

https://www.c4isrnet.com/cyber/2020/08/10/us-cyber-command-is-using-unclassified-networks-to-fight-election-interference/

By Mark Pomerleau
C4ISRNET.com
08/10/2020

WASHINGTON -- U.S. Cyber Command is using unclassified networks and publicly available communication platforms as it works to prevent foreign interference in the next presidential election, a CYBERCOM official has revealed.

“From a CYBERCOM standpoint, one of the big changes for us is we historically had been focused working inside [sensitive compartmented information facilities] SCIFs. One of the things we’ve done in support of 2020 is we have organizations now that live outside SCIFs,” Brig. Gen. William Hartman, the head of of U.S. Cyber Command’s Cyber National Mission Force, said during an Aug. 7 virtual panel hosted by DEFCON.

Hartman said forces are now working on unclassified networks, Slack channels and other platforms to communicate with the FBI, the Department of Homeland Security and private industry.

“We have really tried to adapt some of our behavior so we’re able to, in real time, collaborate with our partners across government on a little different timescale than a traditional military one because I know most of you are probably not up at 5:30 in the morning,” he said.

[...]
--
Subscribe to InfoSec News
https://www.infosecnews.org/subscribe-to-infosec-news/