Information Security News mailing list archives

Pentagon needs access to defense companies' networks to hunt cyberthreats, says commission

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2020 05:57:33 +0000 (UTC)

https://www.c4isrnet.com/cyber/2020/07/30/pentagon-needs-access-to-defense-companies-networks-to-hunt-cyberthreats-says-commission/

By Mark Pomerleau
C4ISRNET.com
July 30, 2020

WASHINGTON -- The Pentagon must be able to hunt cyberthreats on the private networks of defense companies in order to strengthen national cybersecurity, according to one of the leaders of the Cyber Solarium Commission.

Rep. Mike Gallagher, R-Wis., who co-chairs the commission, said in testimony before the House Armed Services Subcommittee on Intelligence and Emerging Threats and Capabilities that there must be greater visibility of these networks, in which much sensitive and classified information is kept.

“I think one of our biggest findings in the report was that while we are getting a better awareness of our own systems, we still — down to the level of some of our DoD contractors, subcontractors, all the small companies that work with the big defense primes — don’t have the level of visibility on the threat picture and the security of their networks that we need,” he said July 30.

[...]
--
Subscribe to InfoSec News
https://www.infosecnews.org/subscribe-to-infosec-news/