Metasploit mailing list archives

Suggestion : Providing the DATE for exploits

From: mmiller at hick.org (mmiller at hick.org)
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2005 13:55:43 -0500

On Sun, Oct 02, 2005 at 10:44:42PM +0530, Nagareshwar Talekar wrote:
Hi all,.

First off all , my thanks to all the developers of MSF for making such a
wonderful product.

Here is the suggestion to include DATE field for exploits. The DATE field
will indicate when the vulnerability was actually found or may be when the
exploit was developed. This is very useful feature that will greatly help
pen testing guys to attempt
latest exploits without wasting time on trying on old exploits.

The date need not be exact as there will be multiple phases in vulnerablilty
disclosure.

You can get the date when the vulnerability was disclosed by looking at
the references that almost all of the exploits have.  Including the date
when the exploit was developed is kind of meaningless.  A lot of the
times we will go and write an exploit for a vulnerability that was found
years ago (ie_objecttype).  In this case, including the date when the
exploit was written would be useless in general.