Metasploit mailing list archives

James Foster's book on Metasploit

From: thegnome at nmrc.org (Simple Nomad)
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 02:01:45 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006, Michael Boman wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1597490741/102-5915684-6144143

Have you heard about this book? Got any comments? I've seen the James
Foster likes to recycle chapters from other books
(http://taosecurity.blogspot.com/2005/12/reprinting-security-tools-and-exploits.html),
so perhaps one should stay away from this one?

Then just buy one book and skip the other 9 or so ;-)

I've noticed this too, this recycling. And having spoken with publishers
including Syngress, I can't blame Foster, at least 100%. You get 30
chapters written, and a technical editor could probably turn that into 10
books with 12 chapters each in short order. This is why you go to Barnes
and Noble or Borders or whatever, sit in one of those overstuffed chairs
with a pile of books and look them over first.

Keep this in mind -- one publisher approached me about writing a book, and
simply asked that it have the word "hack" or "hacking" in the title. In
the last year they all have "shellcode" or "reverse engineering" in the
title. Most publishers are snakes -- fuck them.

BTW the No Starch Press folks are not jerks, and they publish decent
material without recycling from previous titles.

-SN