Metasploit mailing list archives

Integration with other tools

From: jerome.athias at free.fr (Jerome Athias)
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 08:36:31 +0100

Joxean Koret wrote:
Hi,

I'm writting a plugin for Inguma to integrate Metasploit
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/inguma).

The problem I'm facing is that I don't know how can I search through the
Metasploit's modules to associate the vulnerabilities and available
services Inguma finds with the correct product+version+os+sp level,
etc...

Apparently there is no standarized way to associate a product+version to
an specific module.

In example, imagine that Inguma finds an Arkeia Backup Server. Even if
the tool can reliably detect the version I will have many troubles
searching for the vuln. The following is an extract of the targets list
of the exploit:

Arkeia 5.3.3 and 5.2.27 Windows (All)
(...)
Arkeia 5.x Windows 2000 English
(...)
Arkeia 5.x Windows NT 4.0 SP4/SP5/SP6
(...)
Arkeia 4.2 Windows XP English SP0/SP1

As anyone can find there many different possible formats to search for
and it makes the search harder.

The question: Is there any semi-standard way to associate a product
+version with a module?

Thanks in advance!
Regards

Hi,

working on this, what i've done is to build a database like this:
nmap banner | msf exploit / options

so using nmap to do a fingerprinting gives you a less aggressive way to
automatically launch your exploits against the target than with autopwn
(only using ports match)

of course, you can use other tools to increase the granularity and
reliability of your fingerprinting process (ie: RPC...)

(It's the main part of my project theXploiter)

So, if some guys want to help to update the database, they are welcome
to contact me ;-)

Cheers
/JA

NB: another way would be to review the design of the msf exploits
modules (target field) with something like
target.service
target.version
target.os
target.sp
target.locale

PS: going further will let you think about automatically updating the
needed ret address, based on the os fingerprinting, using another
database, just before launching your exploit ;p