Metasploit mailing list archives

Reflective DLL Injection

From: jerome.athias at free.fr (Jerome Athias)
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2008 09:22:48 +0100

Hi Stephen,

congratulations and thanks for your research! It's very interresting.
I hope to be able to use it in one of my project.
Maybe this one could be interesting for you...

I spent time on a win32/64 backdoor.
The main goal is:
1) to inject in memory the server part of the backdoor in memory
2) to take control of the server via a client
(nothing new here)

What is (i think) quite new in me backdoor server is that it includes a
"live - in memory - compiler".
So, in few words: the client send programming code to the server
(actually via a socket, using compressLZW+cryptRC516 crypt/uncrypt
functions), and this code will be dynamically + all in memory compiled
and executed.

My problem is (was) that I use my favorite (su**ing) IDE to code my
server, but this IDE can't (could not*) generate a DLL.
So, actually my server is a .EXE file.
Since a friend of mine (Vince ;p) released a tool (alpha stage for now)
to be able to build a DLL from my IDE...
(* http://vroy1.free.fr/wpfr/index.php )
I hope to be able to release soon a backdoor server in form of a DLL (or
set of DLLs, ie. like the plugins of Sub7, allowing the client to code
remotely - in memory.)
The server allready supports more than 500 functions to access
files/registry/devices/users/logs/services/bluetooth/Active Directory, etc

If you're interested by a PoC, just let me know.

Kind regards
/JA

Stephen Fewer a ?crit :
Hello, Just released a short paper on Reflective DLL Injection.

Abstract: Reflective DLL injection is a library injection technique in
which the concept of reflective programming is employed to perform the
library is responsible for loading itself by implementing a minimal
Portable Executable (PE) loader.

You can download the paper here:
http://www.harmonysecurity.com/files/HS-P005_ReflectiveDllInjection.pdf

And the PoC code here:
http://www.harmonysecurity.com/files/ReflectiveDllInjection_v1.0.zip

Support for Reflective DLL Injection has been added to Metasploit in the
form of a payload stage and a modified VNC DLL (both are currently in
the development tree).

Cheers

Stephen Fewer