Metasploit mailing list archives

(no subject)

From: komseh at gmail.com (Nelson)
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 23:19:51 -0600

I'm pretty sure "vulnerability scanning" is outside of the scope of what msf
is meant for.  Although recently I had to perform a remote internal
pentest in a very limited amount of time on a machine with RH8 /
kernel 2.4.18 and whatever glibc is included with that piece.  I
download two tools including dependencies: msf-trunk and nmap-4.76.  I
was able to use these tools to covertly discover an ftp server
allowing anonymous access, an mssql server with sa password=sa, and
one XP system vulnerable to 08-067 with domain access.

I used the msf auxiliary\anonymous FTP scanner to connect to one live
IP every 10 seconds.  If I was a real attacker this place would have
been screwed just on the anonymous FTP considering that all of their
customer account info was stored there.

After that I used the msf auxiliary\mssql login scanner in the same
way, except after failing with the blank password I modified the
script to try for sa/sa.  After this I went and downloaded sqlat and
freetds so I could create an account to upload meterpreter.(does
anyone else know of a tool to do this from linux?)

After discovering all of the XP systems on the network I just started
running the 08-067 exploit against them since this exploit is fairly
safe against XP.  I eventually found one vulnerable system that was a
remote PC for a vendor and also happened to be joined to the domain.

In and out with a heap of sensitive information and permanent network
access in less than 1.5 hours.  I was also able to bypass their IDS by
limiting connections frequency and using obfuscation options during
exploitation.

In essence, msf can definitely be used for some light vulnerability
discovery.  I didn't have to touch nmap or a vuln scanner during this
pentest.

You probably want Core Impact :)